Monday, November 21, 2016

Loving a Band and Bonded by Love

The other day I was out walking with my dog, Hazel, and a few of my lovely walking buddies. I thought I saw an unused doggy doo bag in the grass. I stopped to check it out, but, alas, it was merely a discarded or lost headband. As I kept going, leaving the headband behind, one of my friends said something along the lines of, "Probably a nice headband." I was so wrapped up in my doggy doo bag disappointment I just kept walking. Well, that evening I found myself totally consumed with thoughts of that headband I'd passed by. Jeepers! I'd forgotten the joys of finders keepers.

Early the next morning one of my friends and I went walking and you'd better bet I snagged that headband.



And you know what? It is a nice headband! At least after I washed it it was.


See?


But wait, there's more!
As I was walking to a friend's house tonight I noticed a number of discarded bottles and cans in the gutters and even a used doggy doo bag perched just at the edge of a storm drain. I shook my head (inside my head) in disbelief and kept on walking. When I was walking back home I had the loveliest vision. I had this sense of my ancestors having thought of me many, many years before I or my parents or their parents were even born. And I thought, by golly, that they loved me...just the mere imagining of me. Just as I already love my children's children (no rush, kids!) and their children and all the children to follow. And so I picked up those bottles and cans, and I picked up the doggy doo bag, and I thought of my ancestors and my descendants...and I smiled thinking of this never ending line of love.



No comments:

Post a Comment